Deadline: 31 July 2018
Open to: international researchers from all countries and disciplines
Award: prize up to 1.65 million EUR
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation’s Sofja Kovalevskaja Award, which is funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research, is granted to young exceptionally promising researchers from abroad in recognition of outstanding academic achievements. The award is designed to enable them to embark on academic careers in Germany by establishing their own junior research groups at research institutions in Germany.
- The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation particularly welcomes applications from qualified, female junior;
- International researchers from all countries and disciplines can apply;
- Ph.D.D with outstanding results;
- Excellent academic track record demonstrated by an extensive list of independent academic publications;
- Support from a host research institution in Germany.
Eligible applicants must have lived outside of Germany for a minimum of 12 months in total in the 18-month period prior to the submission deadline.
As soon as the award has been conferred, the award winner is entitled to the award funds of up to 1.65 million EUR.
The award funds are placed at the award winner’s disposal for a period of five years to carry out the approved research project of his or her own choice in Germany.
The award winners and their host institutions agree jointly on the commencement of the planned research work in Germany in the course of 2019.
HOW TO APPLY?
In order to apply, please fill the application form.
Additional documents needed:
- Doctorate or comparable academic degree (Ph.D., C.Sc. or equivalent), completed with distinction less than six years prior to the application submission deadline;
- Career level: the award would enable the successful applicant to take on a leadership position (e.g. head of a junior research group) in Germany for the first time. Moreover, the applicant must not have held or accepted an offer of permanent employment in Germany. The relevant date is the date of the selection;
- Cutting-edge academic achievements documented by a comprehensive list of independent academic publications reviewed according to international standards and printed in journals and / or by publishing houses;
- Support of the German host institution, evidenced by a detailed expert’s report from the academic host as well as the host’s agreement and the confirmation from the administration at the host institution;
- Two supporting expert reviews from academics (at the applicant’s own institute or other institutes, where possible including some outside the applicant’s country of origin);
- No previous Sofja Kovalevskaja Award;
For more information please visit the official website.