What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. The ICRC also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
Each year, armed conflict disrupts millions of lives. The ICRC’s water and habitat activities ensure that people in conflict zones have access to water and create or maintain a sustainable living environment. Ultimately, this work reduces death and suffering due to habitat damage or disruption to water supplies.
The ICRC’s Water and Habitat Unit has five main areas of activity:
- Water supply, storage and distribution
- Sanitation, waste management and environmental science
- Restoration and management of electric power
- Construction, repair and safety of structures
- Provision of temporary community facilities
The associate will be part of the Water and Habitat team and work within the ICRC Assistance Division at the headquarters level. He/she will participate in the development of the Unit’s activities by supporting the team in its day to day tasks and by developing technical standards, tools and guidelines.
Desired profile and skil
Interest in humanitarian issues
- Educational background in the field of Architecture and/or Civil Engineering
- Good knowledge of the building construction sector
- Knowledge of project management
- Literate in AutoCAD, Sketchup, Microsoft Office, and MS Project/Primavera
- Writing skills and capacity to communicate scientific information to non-specialists
- Proficient in written and spoken English, knowledge of French an asset
- Autonomy, flexibility, adaptability
- Maximum professional experience: 1 year (2 years if including 1 year traineeship). Please note that applicants with more experience cannot be considered.
What we offer
The position will be a full-time paid traineeship of 12 months based at the ICRC headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
Deadline for sending the application: 27.05.2018
Expected starting date of traineeship: 20.08.2018
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted subsequently for interviews.
Please be aware that the ICRC is not in a position to cover any related travel or accommodation costs. However, interviews may be conducted by phone.