Deadline Date: Sunday, 27 May 2018
What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. The ICRC also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
Each year, armed conflict disrupts millions of lives. The ICRC’s water and habitat activities ensure that people in conflict zones have access to water and create or maintain a sustainable living environment. Ultimately, this work reduces death and suffering due to habitat damage or disruption to water supplies.
The ICRC’s Water and Habitat Unit has five main areas of activity:
- Water supply, storage and distribution
- Sanitation, waste management and environmental science
- Restoration and management of electric power
- Construction, repair and safety of structures
- Provision of temporary community facilities
More information on ICRC and the Water and Habitat Unit can be found on https://www.icrc.org/en/what-we-do/water-habitat
The associate will be part of the Water and Habitat team and work within the ICRC Assistance Division at the headquarters level. He/she will participate in the development of the Unit’s activities by supporting the team in its day to day tasks and by developing technical standards, tools and guidelines.
Desired profile and skil
Interest in humanitarian issues
- Educational background in the field of Architecture and/or Civil Engineering
- Good knowledge of the building construction sector
- Knowledge of project management
- Literate in AutoCAD, Sketchup, Microsoft Office, and MS Project/Primavera
- Writing skills and capacity to communicate scientific information to