#UN-HABITAT #INTERNATIONAL #URBAN DESIGN #STUDENT #COMPETITION 2018
Deadline: 30 June 2018
Open to: students of urban planning, urban design, architecture, landscape architecture, urban economics and other relevant disciplines globally
Benefits: covered costs of economy flights and accomodation and also a invite to Wuhan at Wuhan Placemaking Week 2018 in November 2018
UN-Habitat, the United Nations Human Settlements Programme, and WLSP, the Wuhan Land Use and Spatial Planning Research Center, are organizing an international student competition to propose creative and innovative solutions for a vacant waterfront site in inner-city Wuhan. The competition is part of the UN-Habitat – WLSP programme “People Oriented Urban Public Spaces” for China.
Wuhan is the capital of Hebei province, China. The city, with a population of 10.91 million, is located at the Yangtze River and Han River in the center of China. Major rail and highway networks of China all cross in Wuhan. The city is renowned for its large student population, its car factories and its high-tech industries.
UN-Habitat and WSLP collaborate since 2016 and will jointly organize Wuhan Placemaking Week in late 2018, where the competition finalists will be invited to.
- improving and innovating urban public spaces;
- revitalization of waterfront spaces;
- revalorizing industrial heritage;
- socially inclusive and compact inner-city centers; creating new tourism destinations;
- all in the context of rapidly developing metropolitan cities with historical centers;
- 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (SDGs);
- transformative implementation of the New Urban Agenda.
- The competition is only open to students of Urban Planning, Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Urban Economics and other relevant disciplines globally;
- Applicants can enroll as an individual or as a team. Team sizes are open;
- Each applicant in the team must be enrolled in a certified program on June 30, 2018. When registering for the competition, enrollment information must be submitted;
- One team can only submit one proposal and individuals cannot participate in more than one team;
- All submissions must be in English;
- UN-Habitat and WLSP are publishing the same competition documents on their respective websites, in respectively English and Chinese.
- All finalists will receive a certificate;
- Teams will be invited to Wuhan, with a maximum of three members of each team;
- The costs of economy flights and stay will be covered by the organisers.
There are no additional monetary awards.
HOW TO APPLY?
The email with the registration form shall have the subject title “REGISTRATION UNHABITATWUHAN”.
All submission documents shall be completely anonymous, with exception of them mentioning the unique registration number of the submitting team. Entries which reveal the identity including the country of origin of the applying team are disqualified.
Submissions must follow strictly the following format:
- Three (or less) posters, each having A1 format and with portrait orientation.
- Poster 1: Approach, explaining the urban ideas developed in the project with regards to the proposed site and context issues;
- Poster 2: Design – presenting the project as a whole, highlighting the urban design and architecture concepts;
- Poster 3: Public space strategies and themes, elaborating the public space strategies and themes in the design;
- One abstract (word file) of maximum 5000 characters including spaces and covering maximum 2 pages A4, portrait orientation. Font space is no smaller than 10.
All files must be formatted as PDF files and must be sent as follows:
- One single file with the 3 posters in reduced size and the abstract of max 2 MB;
- Each poster separate with a maximum of 5 MB per poster;
- Abstract separately with a maximum of 1 MB;
Each poster has the registration number of the applying team in the upper right corner, in the format 00345/1-3, whereby “00345” is the serial number and “/1-3” indicates the poster number and the total number of posters. The numbers will be precisely 2 cm high in all A1 posters and in full black Arial Bolt font.
The filenames shall be, assuming here for applicant no. 00345
- “UNHABITATWUHAN_00345_i.pdf” for the single file of all documents;
- “UNHABITATWUHAN_00345_ii-1.pdf” for the first individual poster, …ii-2.pdf for the second poster and …ii-3.pdf for the third;
- “UNHABITATWUHAN_00345_iii.pdf” for the stand-alone abstract;
As said above, the single submission email shall have the title: “SUBMISSION UNHABITATWUHAN 00345”.
For more information please visit the official website.